Skip to main content

What does a pastor or a lay person do?

Greetings,
When I think of time management, the first thing I need to do is figure out what I am using my time for.  There are two areas in this discussion.  The first are things that every Christian needs to be doing to be obedient.  The second are the additional tasks that I, as a full-time pastor must do to be obedient.

This discussion came out of a comment that I heard once.  I use tasks management software and a calendar to remind me of what needs to be done.  A lay person once said to me, "It looks like you are a slave to the calendar...you need to be a slave to Christ."  It is true that I am a slave, a bond-servant, a servant and a worker for Christ.  Yet, I can read the Bible cover-to-cover, and I have, and it will only give general attitudes and very few specific things to do.  The task, then is to look at our modern culture, 2,000 years after the New Testament was written, and form application, based on the principles of Christ's teachings.  So I will present two lists.  One for every Christian and one with added pastoral duties.

Every Christian needs to:

  • Pray
  • Read the Bible
  • Study the Bible
  • Read, study, watch things to grow in the knowledge of Christ
  • Discover and use Spiritual Gifts
  • Minister in a church
  • Express the Fruit of the Spirit:  Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Gentleness, Faithfulness, and Self-Control
    • These "attitudes" are worked out in community with other Christians primarily and with the world in general.
  • Grow in knowledge and focus on Christ becoming more Christlike every day.
  • Be an example to those in your circle of influence
My additional duties as a Pastor:
  • Lead the ministries of the church
  • Manage the physical building of the church
  • Lead Elders and Deacons
  • Study for and preach on Sunday
  • Lead Bible studies during the week
  • Be an example to those in the church

First and foremost a pastor is a servant of Christ.  Since I cannot accept Christ for you and each relationship with Christ is an individual relationship I, even as a pastor, must grow in Christ even as I teach others to grow in Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressed by email?

Cornerstone Fellowship *Farewell Sermon* 6-4-23 Rev. Michael L. Wilson

Thoughts on Dinosaurs

There is a commercial on TV where there is a flying lizard and a larger flying lizard comes along side.  This is advertising some dinosaur exhibit at some learning center of museum in Northern California.  When we see animations like this, some may think that this is actually what ancient reptile beasts looked like.  When we think of dinosaurs, we need to understand a few things. We have no idea what dinosaurs looked like.  We have no idea what any of them sounded like.  We don’t know what color they were or what texture their skin was (mostly). We have no idea what they ate.   We have no idea if they were friendly and docile or violent and full of rage. We have no idea how they walked, how fast they walked or if any of them flew. We have no idea why we don’t have any dinosaurs on earth anymore. This is because we have never found a dinosaur.  In fact we have only found the spaces where their bones were.  When a dinosaur died, it may have gotten buried.  All the skin and mus