Skip to main content

Thoughts on Red Light Cameras

I got hit with a red light camera ticket the other day.  The traffic light was green.  I did not slow down, and entered the intersection.  The yellow lasted 2 seconds, then the traffic light turned red and SNAP my picture was taken.  I got the first of two mailings which told me to confirm that it was me driving.  The camera takes a picture of the driver and of my rear license plate.  The camera does not take a picture of the intersection and there is no video to prove what I am saying is true.

I called the court to find the law on red light cameras.  I was told that ever since June 1 of 2017, if one inch of a car is in the intersection when the light turns read, a traffic violation occurs.  In other words people cannot enter the intersection under green and have it turn yellow then red very quickly.  That is a traffic violation.

I hate red light cameras.  The primary reason I hate them is that there is no human to see the big picture or the entire situation.  Well, there is a human, and that human is me, but no one asked me what I saw.  There have been multiple news reports saying that private companies own and operate red light cameras in California.  They send photographic information to the police and get a kickback when the fine is payed.  This makes two things obvious:  1) the fine must be higher to pay this third party; and 2) this third party has one motivation:  to make a profit.  They are not doing this for the good of the county.  They are doing this and they entered into a contract with the county to make money, period.

There is no way to contest a red light violation in court.  Normal traffic court allows people to appear and give their side of the story.  Last time I received a traffic violation, I appeared in court.  The officer who wrote the ticket did not, so I won.  With a red light violation, the only defense is that I was not driving, which I was, so there is no defense.

Red light cameras seem wrong.  I want vindication for this violation.  I want the full story, of a very short yellow, to be told, but it will not be told, because that defense is not allowed.  I have to wonder if all law enforcement was automated, how people would like that.  Clearly this is a path I do not want law enforcement to go down.  In the future I will not cross that intersection.  The government has succeeded in changing my behavior.

The second mailing I received was the bail amount or the amount of the ticket.  $490 is due in the court by February 15, 2018.  A fine of that amount leads me to believe that this is nothing but a cash grab and has nothing to do with public safety.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressed by email?

Cornerstone Fellowship *Farewell Sermon* 6-4-23 Rev. Michael L. Wilson

Thoughts on Dinosaurs

There is a commercial on TV where there is a flying lizard and a larger flying lizard comes along side.  This is advertising some dinosaur exhibit at some learning center of museum in Northern California.  When we see animations like this, some may think that this is actually what ancient reptile beasts looked like.  When we think of dinosaurs, we need to understand a few things. We have no idea what dinosaurs looked like.  We have no idea what any of them sounded like.  We don’t know what color they were or what texture their skin was (mostly). We have no idea what they ate.   We have no idea if they were friendly and docile or violent and full of rage. We have no idea how they walked, how fast they walked or if any of them flew. We have no idea why we don’t have any dinosaurs on earth anymore. This is because we have never found a dinosaur.  In fact we have only found the spaces where their bones were.  When a dinosaur died, it may have gotten buried.  All the skin and mus