Skip to main content

Thoughts on Today’s Homeless visitor

Today I came to the church and there was a camper in our parking lot.  I approached the camper and a man who identified as Brian came out to meet me.  I informed him that he could not live here and he had to move.  He then explained to me the last 30 years of his life, moment by moment.  Apparently everyone is against him and he cannot get a break.  All these things that he is owed by the universe have not been appearing.  Nowhere in the explanation of how he got here were any choices that he made.  Everything was done to him.  He bears no responsibility.

When he arrived, apparently he had a tooth infection.  He explained that all he could do was sit in the cab of the his camper and sleep.  I understand that and I am sorry that he has an infection, but that does not answer the question of why he chose my church parking lot to sleep in.

Next to his camper were all sorts of bicycle parts, chair parts and baby carriage parts.  He explained that he was using my parking lot to divide up his items into a pile for plastic and a pile for metal.  He will then that the pieces to various recycling centers and get some money.  Once again, I understood what he was saying.  I had no comment on his plan, I was just wondering why he was enacting his plan here.

Finally, Brian offered me a business proposal.  He said that he would be our groundskeeper or security guard or night watchman in exchange for letting him stay and live in our parking lot.  I am reluctant to enter into a business arrangement with this man, mostly because I have no reason to believe he is trustworthy.  Whatever choices he made to get into this situation might seem like a good idea again and my groundskeeper would disappear.

I have been told that I have no compassion for the homeless.  I have never been told that by someone who had a homeless person living on their property.  Oakland is trying to build a small town of sheds for the homeless to live in.  This is their virtue signaling compassionate answer to the homeless.  The unintended consequences is that homeless from all over the state are now coming to Oakland and they cannot build nearly enough sheds to house all of them.  So the rest of the San Francisco Bay Area’s homeless population is increasing and we just have to deal with it.

It has been said that states run by Democrats have the largest homeless population.  I have been told that this is a meaningless statistic.  So be it.  It is true, however.  Add to the style of government the fact that we have great weather in the Bay Area and many restaurants  with extra food and the homeless keep coming.  I just want them out of my parking lot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressed by email?

Cornerstone Fellowship *Farewell Sermon* 6-4-23 Rev. Michael L. Wilson

Thoughts on Dinosaurs

There is a commercial on TV where there is a flying lizard and a larger flying lizard comes along side.  This is advertising some dinosaur exhibit at some learning center of museum in Northern California.  When we see animations like this, some may think that this is actually what ancient reptile beasts looked like.  When we think of dinosaurs, we need to understand a few things. We have no idea what dinosaurs looked like.  We have no idea what any of them sounded like.  We don’t know what color they were or what texture their skin was (mostly). We have no idea what they ate.   We have no idea if they were friendly and docile or violent and full of rage. We have no idea how they walked, how fast they walked or if any of them flew. We have no idea why we don’t have any dinosaurs on earth anymore. This is because we have never found a dinosaur.  In fact we have only found the spaces where their bones were.  When a dinosaur died, it may have gotten buried.  All the skin and mus