Skip to main content

Thoughts on a School Bus

Many years ago, I was caught in a highway patrol sting.  They had parked a school bus on the sidewalk in the industrial section of town.  There was clearly no one in the bus and the school bus was from a town many miles away.  I drove past it and as I got even with it, all the lights on the bus began to flash and the little stop sign popped out.  Then a highway patrol office ran into the road, on foot and stood in front of my car.  He wrote me a ticket for passing a school bus that had flashing lights.  The ticket turned out to be $695.00.

I fought the ticket and even went to traffic court.  The officer who wrote the ticket did not show up so I won.  Eight months after the event, after I paid the ticket, I received the $695 back from the court.

This event has stayed with me and brought to my thinking a distrust for police officers and highway patrol.  What was done was illegal.  My behavior has also changed.  Whenever I see a parked school bus, I will turn so I do not have to pass it.  I have become paranoid of parked school buses.  This may be an irrational response, but a response that was built with a $695.00 ticket and three trips to the court house over eight months.

Today, I arrived at church and there was a school bus parked in the church’s parking lot.  I immediately stiffened when I saw it and began looking around for hidden police.  I drove up beside the school bus to see if there was anyone in it, and I saw a driver.  I asked the driver if I could help.  I explained that this parking lot was private property and she explained that she was leaving in 2 minutes.  Indeed she did and the school bus left without incident.

The driver of this school bus has no idea what a rogue highway patrolman did those many years ago.  She does not know that I was scarred against school buses.

The point of this is that when government authorities break the law in order to grab easy  money, they effect people’s lives.  I doubt that highway patrol looses any sleep, but whenever I see a school bus I go the other way.  I go the other way because I don’t have an extra $695.00 to give to the government.  This is the effect of a totalitarian government.  We are not completely totalitarian yet, but that Highway Patrol was totalitarian.  He made a situation where I had to break the law.  The result is that I will do my best to not drive past a school bus for as long as I live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressed by email?

Cornerstone Fellowship *Farewell Sermon* 6-4-23 Rev. Michael L. Wilson

Thoughts on Dinosaurs

There is a commercial on TV where there is a flying lizard and a larger flying lizard comes along side.  This is advertising some dinosaur exhibit at some learning center of museum in Northern California.  When we see animations like this, some may think that this is actually what ancient reptile beasts looked like.  When we think of dinosaurs, we need to understand a few things. We have no idea what dinosaurs looked like.  We have no idea what any of them sounded like.  We don’t know what color they were or what texture their skin was (mostly). We have no idea what they ate.   We have no idea if they were friendly and docile or violent and full of rage. We have no idea how they walked, how fast they walked or if any of them flew. We have no idea why we don’t have any dinosaurs on earth anymore. This is because we have never found a dinosaur.  In fact we have only found the spaces where their bones were.  When a dinosaur died, it may have gotten buried.  All the skin and mus