Skip to main content

Thoughts on Vacation

Over Memorial Day weekend, my wife and I went to the north coast of Washington State, the northern most border of America. The weather was sunny. Cold at night and sunny during the day. Even in May, the days were long with many more hours of sunlight than down in the San Francisco Bay Area. We wanted to visit cousins and see their new place. It was a great time away and a wonderful time of seeing new things. I had never been that far north while still in the lower 48 states. I was stationed in Alaska in the Air Force, so that is the farthest north I have been

Vacation is good and a vacation where I get away from everything I know is better. This was a good vacation because it was in a new town with people I know and love. It was good because I knew people could and would handle the business of the church while I was away. A had a good filling and appreciate Kreig Sartin for preaching and Village Baptist for lending him to us.

Vacation is usually about escape. The business of life can be busy and challenging and stressful and routine and mundane and everything it is supposed to be and may things it is not. From time to time, it is good to get away from that routine and just relax. Think about different things, see different things, do different things and ignore the business of life. That is what vacation can be and that is what this vacation was for us.


I have heard stories of people who absolutely hate their lives. Their job is hated, their house is hated, perhaps their family is hated, or just disliked and they need to get away because they hate their life so much. This is a problem. If someone hates what they are doing and where they are living, either they are under duress and maybe need to do what they are doing to survive, but they need to be working to change their situation and not rely on vacations to give them the hope of a better life.

For me, vacations are a time to clear my head, get closer to God and reflect on my life. I always look forward to getting back into the routine of being a pastor. It is the greatest work I can do and I love it. However, vacations are a necessary break from the routine. They help me appreciate what I have and help my congregation appreciate what they have.

Some day I will retire and move from the Bay Area, but I will not stop doing God’s work. Wherever I end up I will find a church and get involved in ministry in that church. It might be paid or might be volunteer. I know of many people who must continue to work, at least part time, after they retire, to survive in this economy. I will serve, wherever God’s puts me and continue serving until I am unable to speak.


#Thoughts on Vacation#

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressed by email?

Cornerstone Fellowship *Farewell Sermon* 6-4-23 Rev. Michael L. Wilson

Thoughts on Dinosaurs

There is a commercial on TV where there is a flying lizard and a larger flying lizard comes along side.  This is advertising some dinosaur exhibit at some learning center of museum in Northern California.  When we see animations like this, some may think that this is actually what ancient reptile beasts looked like.  When we think of dinosaurs, we need to understand a few things. We have no idea what dinosaurs looked like.  We have no idea what any of them sounded like.  We don’t know what color they were or what texture their skin was (mostly). We have no idea what they ate.   We have no idea if they were friendly and docile or violent and full of rage. We have no idea how they walked, how fast they walked or if any of them flew. We have no idea why we don’t have any dinosaurs on earth anymore. This is because we have never found a dinosaur.  In fact we have only found the spaces where their bones were.  When a dinosaur died, it may have gotten buried.  All the skin and mus