Skip to main content

Psalm 2 and my church

The first third of Psalm 2 tells of nations and people and rulers plotting and taking counsel to fight God.  When this sort of activity takes place, it can be believed that Satan himself is motivating these actions.

Some time ago I was in a Bible study and someone said that Satan hates God.  Satan wants to hurt God but Satan cannot, so Satan hurts that which God loves.  In modern times, that would be the church.  The church is called the bride of Christ.  Christ died for the church,  Christ loves the churches and gave himself for it.  So for Satan to hurt the church would be a great gain, and would cause pain for God, Satan thinks.

Ever since 2010 Cornerstone Fellowship, in San Lorenzo California has been in conflict with the Alameda country tax exempt department.  Under federal law, churches do not have to pay property tax on their buildings or leased equipment.  In California this is a benefit because many churches were built when their locations were just an orchard or a field.  Now that California land has become scarce, property tax for commercial buildings has skyrocketed.  Our church has been at this location since September of 1946 and has never paid property tax.

In April of 2010, a man from the IRS showed up at my church, unannounced, with a warrant signed by Lois Lerner.  He demanded entrance to find evidence that we were not a church or a religious organization but a commercial endeavor or a political action committee.  If he could prove we were a commercial endeavor, we would be forced to pay property tax for this year and all past years.  Property tax for my church is $8,401 a year.  The man came in, took pictures of the sanctuary, measured the sanctuary and left.  In October of 2010 Alameda county declared that were were a commercial endeavor and cancelled our tax exempt status and sent us a tax bill for $8,401.00.

Every year since 2010 until now, I have had to fight with the Alameda County Tax Exemption department to prove that we are a church, a 501(c).3 non-profit and an American Baptist recognized church.  Usually the fight has been over not filling a form correctly.  I would miss dotting an ‘i’ or crossing a “t” and that would trigger and investigation and cancellation of our tax exempt status.  Twice since 2010 county representatives have shown up at my church.  I am forced to open every door while they take pictures and measure things and take notes.  I have had government representatives in my church 3 times in the last 7 years.

On Friday, January 12, 2018, I received a call from Israel, the new head of the county tax exemption department.  He has informed me that a full investigation is proceeding because we are a commercial, for-profit, business in competition  with other businesses in the area (that is the law we are violating).  During this investigation there is a lean on our church for $8,401 with fees and penalties piling up.  There is nothing I can do to speed this up or prove him wrong.  He won’t even tell me what commercial business I am involved in.

Alameda County is raging against God and my church is the target for the anger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Father Brown

There is a show on the BBC that is on American Netflix called Father Brown.  It takes place in 1955 in England, so World War II is still fresh in their minds.  Father brown was in the infantry in  World War I, then became a priest and was a chaplain in World War II.  Now he is an overweight, blading, gentle priest in a small British town. The humor of each episode is that when a crime occurs, the police are notified and Father Brown is usually already there for some other reason.  So Father brown gets involved.  The police jump to conclusions, arrest the wrong person and Father Brown, amateur sleuth, pokes around and figures out the truth and the police look foolish. Once he was arrested for obstruction of justice, during his time in the jail, he figured out who sabotaged the town race and solved the crime.  The district police gave him a commendation, so now the local police tolerate him better. In this show, having a priest as a main character ...

Thoughts on the 2017 iPhones

Apple released the iPhone 8 a week or so ago.  Apple will release the iPhone X on November 3, 2017.  This is part of Apple’s current annual release of updated phones with better screens, more battery life and a better processor.  I bought my iPhone 7 plus on release day in September of 2016.  I went to the Apple store and bought it.  When thinking about whether I need to update my phone this year, I need to consider a few things. First, is my phone functional or did I break it?  My phone is in good working order.  The screen is not cracked, the non-existent home button still works.  Volume and power and silent switches work.  Mechanically the phone is in good shape.  It took the IOS 11 and IOS 11.01 updates without a problem. The next question is this:  what do I use my phone for and will a faster phone with a better screen help me do these things? Podcasts:  I listen to many podcasts on my phone.  I listen to a mix ...

Church Regulation in California

The first part of the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States reads Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; Everyone always jumps to the second and third and fourth part of this amendment  and screams about freedom of speech or the freedom of the press.  However, the reason the original people came to America was to get away from religious persecution.  Therefore, the first protection against the government (which is what the amendments are), is about freedom of religion. In California there is a move, ever since 2010 the reduced the number of churches.  Actually, they don’t care if two people meet in a home and call it a church, they want to remove the large church meeting buildings.  This is because church buildings do not pay property or use tax.  Many churches in California, especially in the San Francisco Bay Area, have been in their current location for a cen...