Skip to main content

An Application of Psalm 15

Psalm 15:4 states

in whose eyes a vile person is despised,
    but who honors those who fear the Lord;
who swears to his own hurt and does not change;

I knew someone who seemed like a nice person and I offered to let him preach during an upcoming vacation.  After that offer was given, we had a falling out.  So what do I do?

According to this Scripture, I made a promise.  That promise was made without duress.  Then the situation changed and if I continue with my promise, it will "hurt".  Not physically, but I will let someone who seems to not like me very much, into my pulpit.

The point of Psalm 15 is that godly people, people who want to have a close relationship with God will be people who keep their word.  Even if the  situation changes.  If I withdraw the invitation, then I am being disobedient to this Scripture.  The issue is not theological, but personal.  That is why the "hurt" will be emotional, my pride will be hurt.  That is something for me to consider.  Just because someone treated me poorly, does that allow me to break fellowship with them?  There are conflicts in Scripture and Paul does not seem to want church splits over verbal altercations.  Christians need to be thick skinned.

It is times like this and choices like this that test the commitment of God’s people.

My conclusion was to ask him and let him decide.  I will abide by whatever he wants.  If he wants to come to my church, I will let him.  If he sees the problem and gracefully bows out, then I will find another person to fill my pulpit.  If he comes and preaches, I will be away, so I will trust God.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressed by email?

Cornerstone Fellowship *Farewell Sermon* 6-4-23 Rev. Michael L. Wilson

Thoughts on Dinosaurs

There is a commercial on TV where there is a flying lizard and a larger flying lizard comes along side.  This is advertising some dinosaur exhibit at some learning center of museum in Northern California.  When we see animations like this, some may think that this is actually what ancient reptile beasts looked like.  When we think of dinosaurs, we need to understand a few things. We have no idea what dinosaurs looked like.  We have no idea what any of them sounded like.  We don’t know what color they were or what texture their skin was (mostly). We have no idea what they ate.   We have no idea if they were friendly and docile or violent and full of rage. We have no idea how they walked, how fast they walked or if any of them flew. We have no idea why we don’t have any dinosaurs on earth anymore. This is because we have never found a dinosaur.  In fact we have only found the spaces where their bones were.  When a dinosaur died, it may have gotten buried.  All the skin and mus