Skip to main content

Thoughts on the iPhone


My first computer was an IBM PC with 2 floppies, no hard drive and a TV for a screen.  From that moment, I wanted a portable computer I could carry in my hand.  As computers evolved, there were offerings of small windows computers for $3,000 or more.  The PDAs like the Palm device came around and I knew they were onto something.  I could finally carry my calendar and Bible in my pocket.  When I got a Sony Clie, I was able to play music.

Sony Ericsson made the first smart phone I owned.  It ran the old version of Windows Mobile.  I could have my calendar, Bibles, music and movies on that phone.  I kept that phone until it died, then I upgraded to the iPhone 3GS.

The iPhone allowed me to have a calendar, Bible, music, video and they added the Internet.  Other phones had web access, but it was terrible.  Apple had created a web browsing experience that was phenomenal.

As the power of the iPhone grew, application developers stepped up.  Now there are millions of business and productivity applications and the computing power in my pocket is enough to do most of what I need to do.

As a pastor, I need to manager the church calendar, my personal calendar,  a complete Bible study system, my todo list, email, texting, slack and of course, a phone.  I have tried to do everything I need to do from my phone, without a computer.  It is possible, but it is much easier to write a sermon from a large screen computer.  I have written my 500 daily words many days, on my phone.

The iPhone is part of a system.  Apple has done a very good job of making everything available everywhere.  So If I take a picture, after something in my calendar, start a Bible study, all these things are viable everywhere.  The app developers are doing a great job using the hooks that apple is putting in their software to create a system.  So my iPhone has everything I need.  I can even log into my iMac from my iPhone to get something.

I have everything I had before and so much more.  I can even watch live TV on my iPhone.  I can get programs that are saved on my DVR and watch those.  I also have Netflix so I can watch movies.  It is also the uptime, portable, entertainment device.

People have said that the computing power in the iPhone is greater than the computing power in Nasa that put a man on the moon.  That is just amazing to me and with the future of more computing power, augmented reality, speed and storage, the world of possibilities is wide open for Apple and the iPhone.

The iPhone, iPad, iMac and MacBook allow me to be an informed and efficient pastor. I have all the information I need at my fingertips and have a full library of sermon preparation books at my beck and call.  Thank you for the iPhone, Apple.  Much appreciated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressed by email?

Cornerstone Fellowship *Farewell Sermon* 6-4-23 Rev. Michael L. Wilson

Thoughts on Dinosaurs

There is a commercial on TV where there is a flying lizard and a larger flying lizard comes along side.  This is advertising some dinosaur exhibit at some learning center of museum in Northern California.  When we see animations like this, some may think that this is actually what ancient reptile beasts looked like.  When we think of dinosaurs, we need to understand a few things. We have no idea what dinosaurs looked like.  We have no idea what any of them sounded like.  We don’t know what color they were or what texture their skin was (mostly). We have no idea what they ate.   We have no idea if they were friendly and docile or violent and full of rage. We have no idea how they walked, how fast they walked or if any of them flew. We have no idea why we don’t have any dinosaurs on earth anymore. This is because we have never found a dinosaur.  In fact we have only found the spaces where their bones were.  When a dinosaur died, it may have gotten buried.  All the skin and mus