Skip to main content

Thoughts on the 2017 iPhones

Apple released the iPhone 8 a week or so ago.  Apple will release the iPhone X on November 3, 2017.  This is part of Apple’s current annual release of updated phones with better screens, more battery life and a better processor.  I bought my iPhone 7 plus on release day in September of 2016.  I went to the Apple store and bought it.  When thinking about whether I need to update my phone this year, I need to consider a few things.

First, is my phone functional or did I break it?  My phone is in good working order.  The screen is not cracked, the non-existent home button still works.  Volume and power and silent switches work.  Mechanically the phone is in good shape.  It took the IOS 11 and IOS 11.01 updates without a problem.

The next question is this:  what do I use my phone for and will a faster phone with a better screen help me do these things?

Podcasts:  I listen to many podcasts on my phone.  I listen to a mix of religion, politics and current events and tech.  A new phone will not help me listen to podcasts better.  The headphone jack is already gone so that is not a concern.  The iPhone X has bluetooth 5 which has greater range and better sound, but for spoken word podcasts that is not an issue.

Tasks:  I manage my tasks on my phone.  A newer, faster phone will not help me manage my tasks better.

Communication:  I manage my communication on my phone.  This includes texting, email, slack and phone calls.  I support three different phone numbers on my phone, 9 email accounts and 2 slack channels.

Miscellaneous:  I also do things like manage my shopping list.  I use my phone as my alarm clock.  I read books and my Bible on my phone.  I take notes and look things up on my phone.  I have not seen anything in the specks or the demonstration to indicate these things would be improved with a faster, nicer looking phone.

I play no games on my phone.  I do not watch many videos.  If I am watching a movie, I will Air Play it to my Apple TV, so screen quality and brightness and colors do not matter.

The main reason I do not need a new phone is that all my uses of the phone depend on software apps.  If the current apps will run on my current phone, I am golden.  Eventually, if I never upgrade, the latest IOS will not install and the updated apps will not install.  But for now, I will save my pennies and not get the 2017 versions of the Apple iPhone.

There is an app call Moment.  It will track how often a person uses their phone and what apps are used the most.  Therefore is someone is concerned about wasting time on their phone, Moments is a good app to discover that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressed by email?

Cornerstone Fellowship *Farewell Sermon* 6-4-23 Rev. Michael L. Wilson

Thoughts on Dinosaurs

There is a commercial on TV where there is a flying lizard and a larger flying lizard comes along side.  This is advertising some dinosaur exhibit at some learning center of museum in Northern California.  When we see animations like this, some may think that this is actually what ancient reptile beasts looked like.  When we think of dinosaurs, we need to understand a few things. We have no idea what dinosaurs looked like.  We have no idea what any of them sounded like.  We don’t know what color they were or what texture their skin was (mostly). We have no idea what they ate.   We have no idea if they were friendly and docile or violent and full of rage. We have no idea how they walked, how fast they walked or if any of them flew. We have no idea why we don’t have any dinosaurs on earth anymore. This is because we have never found a dinosaur.  In fact we have only found the spaces where their bones were.  When a dinosaur died, it may have gotten buried.  All the skin and mus