Skip to main content

Thoughts on Apple (September 12, 2017)

Today Apple performed a 2 hour dog and pony show in the new Steve Jobs theater on the campus of the new Apple Park.  Apple announced a new Apple Watch that will allow you to listen to 40 millions songs (all at once?) when you phone is miles away.  The announced a new 4k Apple TV and they announced the iPhone 8 which is an upgrade from the iPhone 7 (no ’s’ models any more I guess).  They then announced the iPhone X (ten) and then they were done.  Then they gave iTunes 12.7 to everyone and this release of iTunes removed the App Store and the ringtone section.  iTunes is now a music and entertainment device.

The direction that Apple is going is simple:  Entertainment.  Games and music and movies and TV shows on all ‘I’ devices and music management on the new iTunes.  If Apple becomes the music destination for the whole world, they don’t need to innovate anymore.  They just sit back and collect $99 a year for apple music and all the residuals for the various games that people now buy and download on the their phones.  I guess Apple feels there is not problem buying and downloading a 2 gig AR game without having a backup copy stored on the computer.

I do not listen to much music.  I have 20k or so songs all ripped from CDs that I collected in the military and after.  I like hard rock, metal and guitar rock and Third Day.  I like classic rock from the 70s and 80s and discovering music is not something I do for fun or profit.  I play no games on my iPhone or computers.  Not even, or especially not even solitaire.  Three years ago I deleted all games from my phone and I have never looked back.  I do like to make custom ringtones, and apparently I can drag those to my iPhone through iTunes, without having a “tones section.”  Some time ago I bought iMazing and Waltr and it looks like these two apps will become my iTunes replacement.  iMazing automatically backs up my devices, and allows me to edit, adding or removing things, from the backup and then restored it.  Waltr allows me to drag and drop anything and I mean anything into my “I” devices and it converts it and figures it out.

So, if Apple is going to be a game and music company, selling and renting movies and TV shows, I will just not use those portions of their services.  To be assured, if I drop $1,000 on the new iPhone, I will not be paying $99 a year for music and untold hundreds of movies and TV shows.  The hardware costs enough.

Apple’s little shows are always entertaining.  They do a good job.  Craig had trouble with the facial recognition during today’s demo and the phone asked for the passcode.  He recovered and it was a good show.  Eventually I will get a new iPhone and I will enjoy it.  I have written other blog posts on how my iPhone is my portable office, not a music store or a movie theater.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Father Brown

There is a show on the BBC that is on American Netflix called Father Brown.  It takes place in 1955 in England, so World War II is still fresh in their minds.  Father brown was in the infantry in  World War I, then became a priest and was a chaplain in World War II.  Now he is an overweight, blading, gentle priest in a small British town. The humor of each episode is that when a crime occurs, the police are notified and Father Brown is usually already there for some other reason.  So Father brown gets involved.  The police jump to conclusions, arrest the wrong person and Father Brown, amateur sleuth, pokes around and figures out the truth and the police look foolish. Once he was arrested for obstruction of justice, during his time in the jail, he figured out who sabotaged the town race and solved the crime.  The district police gave him a commendation, so now the local police tolerate him better. In this show, having a priest as a main character ...

Thoughts on the 2017 iPhones

Apple released the iPhone 8 a week or so ago.  Apple will release the iPhone X on November 3, 2017.  This is part of Apple’s current annual release of updated phones with better screens, more battery life and a better processor.  I bought my iPhone 7 plus on release day in September of 2016.  I went to the Apple store and bought it.  When thinking about whether I need to update my phone this year, I need to consider a few things. First, is my phone functional or did I break it?  My phone is in good working order.  The screen is not cracked, the non-existent home button still works.  Volume and power and silent switches work.  Mechanically the phone is in good shape.  It took the IOS 11 and IOS 11.01 updates without a problem. The next question is this:  what do I use my phone for and will a faster phone with a better screen help me do these things? Podcasts:  I listen to many podcasts on my phone.  I listen to a mix ...

Church Regulation in California

The first part of the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States reads Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; Everyone always jumps to the second and third and fourth part of this amendment  and screams about freedom of speech or the freedom of the press.  However, the reason the original people came to America was to get away from religious persecution.  Therefore, the first protection against the government (which is what the amendments are), is about freedom of religion. In California there is a move, ever since 2010 the reduced the number of churches.  Actually, they don’t care if two people meet in a home and call it a church, they want to remove the large church meeting buildings.  This is because church buildings do not pay property or use tax.  Many churches in California, especially in the San Francisco Bay Area, have been in their current location for a cen...