Skip to main content

Thoughts on Podcasts

Podcasts are audio or video files that are downloaded to a mobile device and listened to or watched.  Many can be listened to and watched on the web.  The name Podcast came from Apple.  Many years ago when Apple just had the classic MP3 player, Apple began supporting and listing Podcasts in their iTunes app.  The Apple Music player was called an iPod.  Also these sound files were usually regularly released like broadcast TV shows, so these files were called Podcasts.

I use two different programs to listen to Podcasts on my devices.  I use Overcast and Pocketcast.  I used Pocketcast for years when Overcast came on the scene.  Overcast got great reviews, mostly because the developer was very well known in the tech community.  So I got it.  I switch between the two every couple of months.  The latest Pocketcast is very well done.  Both Overcast and Pocketcast work well on the iPhone and iPad.  Overcast has a web player, while Pocketcast has both a web player and a Mac downloadable app for playing my podcasts on my Macs

I subscribe to 42 Podcasts.  They are a mix of religious, tech and politics.  A few are daily, most are weekly.

There are three Podcasts I listen to every weekday.

Armstrong and Getty is a morning radio out of Sacramento, CA. Their 4 hour radio show is reduced to a 2 hour podcasts.  They cover all the political news in Washington and California.  They are funny, off-the-cuff and libertarian.  They want a smaller government and regularly rail against uncle Jerry.  This is a great place to the daily news on what is happening

macOS Ken is 15 minute Podcast released every weekday morning.  It covers Apple news.

The Briefing is a 15 minute Podcast put out by Albert Mohler.  He goes through the news and responds to it from a Christian worldview.

Two political Podcasts from orthodox Jews I listen to are:

Rabbi Daniel Lapin puts out a Podcast every weekend.  He explains world events using ancient Jewish wisdom

Ben Shapiro is a conservative speaker that has been banned from Berkeley.  He speaks to the political events of the day from a conservative point of view.

There are a few weekly religious podcasts that I listen to

Reformed Forum is a group of pastors who discuss the Bible and theology

Theocast is a group of reformed pastors from Nashville  who discus the Bible and biblical themes

Wretched Radio is a segment from Todd Freil’s radio program

The Bible Project is by two men who teach about the Bible

For tech Podcasts I listen to

The Mac Geek Gab which is a Mac centered podcast every Sunday

The Mac Observer Daily Observations is a 20 minute discussion on the Apple news of the day

DTNS is Tom Merrit’s Daily Tech News Show.  It is a staple of the tech news every day

I listen to these podcasts when I am driving or eating lunch.  Most Podcast players allow the user to change the speed and I listen to most podcasts at 1.5% speed.  I have read articles that listening to speech at a faster than normal speed keeps the mind young and stalls dementia.  I’ll let you know.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Father Brown

There is a show on the BBC that is on American Netflix called Father Brown.  It takes place in 1955 in England, so World War II is still fresh in their minds.  Father brown was in the infantry in  World War I, then became a priest and was a chaplain in World War II.  Now he is an overweight, blading, gentle priest in a small British town. The humor of each episode is that when a crime occurs, the police are notified and Father Brown is usually already there for some other reason.  So Father brown gets involved.  The police jump to conclusions, arrest the wrong person and Father Brown, amateur sleuth, pokes around and figures out the truth and the police look foolish. Once he was arrested for obstruction of justice, during his time in the jail, he figured out who sabotaged the town race and solved the crime.  The district police gave him a commendation, so now the local police tolerate him better. In this show, having a priest as a main character ...

Thoughts on the 2017 iPhones

Apple released the iPhone 8 a week or so ago.  Apple will release the iPhone X on November 3, 2017.  This is part of Apple’s current annual release of updated phones with better screens, more battery life and a better processor.  I bought my iPhone 7 plus on release day in September of 2016.  I went to the Apple store and bought it.  When thinking about whether I need to update my phone this year, I need to consider a few things. First, is my phone functional or did I break it?  My phone is in good working order.  The screen is not cracked, the non-existent home button still works.  Volume and power and silent switches work.  Mechanically the phone is in good shape.  It took the IOS 11 and IOS 11.01 updates without a problem. The next question is this:  what do I use my phone for and will a faster phone with a better screen help me do these things? Podcasts:  I listen to many podcasts on my phone.  I listen to a mix ...

Church Regulation in California

The first part of the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States reads Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; Everyone always jumps to the second and third and fourth part of this amendment  and screams about freedom of speech or the freedom of the press.  However, the reason the original people came to America was to get away from religious persecution.  Therefore, the first protection against the government (which is what the amendments are), is about freedom of religion. In California there is a move, ever since 2010 the reduced the number of churches.  Actually, they don’t care if two people meet in a home and call it a church, they want to remove the large church meeting buildings.  This is because church buildings do not pay property or use tax.  Many churches in California, especially in the San Francisco Bay Area, have been in their current location for a cen...