Skip to main content

Thoughts on Government Healthcare

There is a movement today lead by Bernie Sanders and Debbi Shultz who want every doctor to be an employee of the government and every clinic and hospital to be the property of the government.  That would be the federal government.  There would be no private insurance, no private care except in the black market, which is guaranteed to exist.

I have healthcare provided fully by the federal government.  My only healthcare comes from the VA (Veterans Administration).  They do not provide dental so I buy that separately.  However, every doctor I see is a VA employee.  Every prescription I get is sent by the VA.  All I can say is that I hate it.  The care is basic, and acceptable, I guess.  I really have nothing to compare it to.  I had Kaiser for a while many years ago and compared to that, the VA is acting like they want to kill me.

I am notified for appointments with the VA through postcards.  They have an email system, but it requires 4 different logins and 12 links to get to it and it is usually down.  For me, I can be sent to Fremont, Livermore or Palo Alto.  Not all services are at each place, so my destination depends on what I need.  Once I needed an x-ray in Livermore and then had to make it to Fremont in 30 minutes to meet with a doctor to tell me what was on the X-Ray.  I rarely see the same doctor twice.  There is a very fast turn over of medical personal at the VA.  I have been told that Doctors use it as a place to work while they look for a real job.

The VA has a policy that any drug in their formulary must be generic and must have been available as a generic for five years.  So any new medication or experimental treatment or anything you see on TV will not be available in the VA.  They use tried and tested and very old treatments.

The bottom line is that they don’t care.  No one at the VA knows me or cares whether I live or die.  I am just a number and that is obvious with the phone tree and the very, very long wait times to speak to anyone at the VA.

There are people in our government that want everyone’s healthcare to be from the VA.  It is a little published fact but during President Obama’s eight years in office, life expectancy actually decreased.  People died younger and sooner while Obama was in the Whitehouse.  You will see life expectancies plummet if single payer, government healthcare becomes law.  People will not go to the Doctor because it is such a pain and very difficult to get an appointment.  And when I get an appointment it is six months out.  Nancy Pelosi says hundreds of thousands of people will die if Obamacare goes away.  Millions will die is we go to single payer healthcare.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressed by email?

Cornerstone Fellowship *Farewell Sermon* 6-4-23 Rev. Michael L. Wilson

Thoughts on Dinosaurs

There is a commercial on TV where there is a flying lizard and a larger flying lizard comes along side.  This is advertising some dinosaur exhibit at some learning center of museum in Northern California.  When we see animations like this, some may think that this is actually what ancient reptile beasts looked like.  When we think of dinosaurs, we need to understand a few things. We have no idea what dinosaurs looked like.  We have no idea what any of them sounded like.  We don’t know what color they were or what texture their skin was (mostly). We have no idea what they ate.   We have no idea if they were friendly and docile or violent and full of rage. We have no idea how they walked, how fast they walked or if any of them flew. We have no idea why we don’t have any dinosaurs on earth anymore. This is because we have never found a dinosaur.  In fact we have only found the spaces where their bones were.  When a dinosaur died, it may have gotten buried.  All the skin and mus