Skip to main content

Thoughts on Mobile Bible Software

This is an open letter to Accordance Bible Software and Logos/Faithlife Bible software.

In the late 1998 I had a palm device.  Probably the V or Vx.  Someone told me about a new Bible reader program for the Palm so I found it and installed it.  It was a basic reader with 2 panes where I could load 2 books.  I was able to get an early version of the NET Bible and study notes and install it on my device.  The Bible reader eventually became Olive Tree Bible software and as more books were added to the library, the reader remained a 2 pane window.

Fast forward to today.  I have an iPad Pro 10.5”. There are now three top companies in the Bible software business.  I can load Olive Tree’s latest offering, Accordance’s mobile app and any one of the numerous mobile apps from Logos/Faithlife.  If I launch them, they look exactly like things did on my palm device back in 1998.  I get a window with 2 panes and I can load any two books I want and sometimes they sync when I scroll.  A cursory look would show that nothing has really changed in almost 20 years.  As the power of mobile devices, both tablets and phones are growing and growing, the functionality of these mobile apps seems stalled.  All three Bible software companies offer desktop application and Accordance and Logos allow me to have dozens of books open in any window configuration I want.  Yet, I cannot replicate this layout on any mobile device.

Apple has released the Pro line of iPads as laptop replacements.  Their success in this regard is still debated.  However, it would be expected, I think to go to a coffee shop and pull out my iPad or larger phone and load a layout from my desktop.  Granted, there would be memory and speed issues, but I could do it.  I can go to a coffee shop with my 2016 MacBook 12” and load any of the layouts saved on the desktop but mobile devices are not allowed.

Logos has placed the various guides and documents created on the desktop on the mobile app.  I can create an exegetical guide on any passage right on my phone and if I save it, it will show up on my desktop.  However, I still only get a 2 pane window.  One is taken up with the exegetical guide and the other can have a Bible or commentary.

Accordance has created a wonderful “Info Pane” on their desktop app, but there is no sign of it on mobile.  Having the information on this pane on the mobile would be a great addition to Bible study on the phone or iPad.

Bible Software has come a long way growing as the power of desktop computers grow.  Yet it looks like mobile Bible computing has been left in the dust.  Modern iPads and iPhones certainly have the memory and the power and the speed to handle multiple books in a tabbed interface, yet it does not exist.  As the world becomes more mobile, Accordance and Logos/Faithlife need to step up and bring desktop functionality to the mobile world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressed by email?

Cornerstone Fellowship *Farewell Sermon* 6-4-23 Rev. Michael L. Wilson