Skip to main content

How I judge a Government

America has various levels of government.  I, personally, have a city government, a county government, a state government and a federal government.  Because we are in a situation where people can vote for the people in government, I think about what constitutes good government.  I have come up with simple rules on how I judge governments.  If they do well, I vote for them to stay.  If they do poorly, I vote them out.

The first and really only rule I have is this:  A good government will leave me alone.  That's it.  This simple rule has come about because in the days of my youth, I rarely, if ever interfaced with the government.  Police and fire people would come to my elementary school, and as representatives of the government, they would talk about their work.  So, my rule back then was this:  If I needed help from the government, I would find a police or fire person.

As I grew up, after High School, I joined the military.  I became an employee of the government.  President Ronald Reagan was my president during my time in the service and it was common knowledge that he loved the military.  Twice I was involved in marching for review by some federal, Whitehouse representative.  I never met or saw President Reagan, but I saw and met Caspar Weinberger.

When I got out of the military, medical costs had skyrocketed and the regulation nation was in full swing.  Now there are signs all over the place telling us what the regulations are.  Those signs are an interface with the government.  Lately proposition 65 signs were put on coffee.  Back when proposition 65 warning were invented, people warned that they would become obsequious and therefore meaningless, they have.  But every prop 65 sign is a government message.

Today, government is in everything.  Nothing is built or made or sold or bought without an entire bookshelf of government regulations being involved.

Personally, I am fighting Alameda County because they are claiming that my church, which has been a church since 1946, is no longer a church and we owe all sorts of taxes.  The government of the county is actively coming against me, making my life very difficult.

Go back 60 or 80 years and the average person would only interface with the government when they paid their taxes and when they drove (which is another area of government interference).  Today, most people bump into the government several times a day.  Turn on the news and 99.999% of the news is about the government.  75 years ago, there would be human interest and stories about what people were doing.  Today it is all about what the government is doing.  The government demands our attention 24 hours a day.

This is unacceptable and evil.  The government serves the people (Read the constitution), not the other way around.  If I want to ignore the government until April 15 each year, I should be able to, but I cannot.  They are everywhere and I hate it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressed by email?

Cornerstone Fellowship *Farewell Sermon* 6-4-23 Rev. Michael L. Wilson

Thoughts on Dinosaurs

There is a commercial on TV where there is a flying lizard and a larger flying lizard comes along side.  This is advertising some dinosaur exhibit at some learning center of museum in Northern California.  When we see animations like this, some may think that this is actually what ancient reptile beasts looked like.  When we think of dinosaurs, we need to understand a few things. We have no idea what dinosaurs looked like.  We have no idea what any of them sounded like.  We don’t know what color they were or what texture their skin was (mostly). We have no idea what they ate.   We have no idea if they were friendly and docile or violent and full of rage. We have no idea how they walked, how fast they walked or if any of them flew. We have no idea why we don’t have any dinosaurs on earth anymore. This is because we have never found a dinosaur.  In fact we have only found the spaces where their bones were.  When a dinosaur died, it may have gotten buried.  All the skin and mus