Skip to main content

Thoughts on Games

Note:  This is not an attempt at virtue signaling or humble bragging or holier than thou thoughts.  Just my thoughts on games.  Take them for what they are.

I do not watch any sports.  I watch no football or basketball or baseball.  If I am somewhere and a game is on the TV, I have no problem walking past it.  I know people who are into everything sports has to offer, and I know people who watch a random game or two.  If I were to follow something, anything, I would need to know players and stats and everything and track the game.  If I followed basketball, I would have to do a bracket.  This is how I follow things.  I am all on or all out, so I choose to not follow any professional sports.  One exception:  when Olympic curling comes on, I will watch it, not because I follow it, but because it is a fascinating game.

Over three years ago for a New Years resolution, I chose to remove all the games from my computer and phone for one year.  At the end of the year, I could think of no good reason to put them back so I kept them off.  I have not played a computer or phone game in over 3 years.  Back when Pokemon Go was all the rage, someone said that my church was a gym, so I had to see what that meant, so I installed the game, saw what it meant and deleted the game.

I have an iPhone, and Apple will have ratings charts of apps that make the most money.  Usually games are most of the top ten most profitable apps.  SuperCell which makes Clash of Clans and the various off shoots, makes $2 million a day off that game.  This is because if a person wants to get ahead, they must put hundreds or thousands of dollars into the game.  Many games are this way.  They can be played for free, but to be very successful, real money has to be spent.  My money is more valuable to me than to put into a game.  So to play the more popular games would take money I am not willing to spend.  Of course there are solitaire type games that do not require the buying of gems and such.

Time is also a factor.  I have the same 24 hours in a day that everyone else has, and I have lots to do.  I teach a couple Bible studies, I preach on Sunday, I am on call to visit people in the hospital and more and more people want my time.  Like with professional sports, if I played a phone game, I would have to play it enough to get very good at it.  I would get competitive with others play or just myself.  It is difficult to play a game just for the enjoyment.

I do play games with real people.  Last time the extended family got together we played Settlers of Catan, which was fun, not because of the game, but because of the people.  I do not live near my existences family, so group games like that are saved for holidays when we all get together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Father Brown

There is a show on the BBC that is on American Netflix called Father Brown.  It takes place in 1955 in England, so World War II is still fresh in their minds.  Father brown was in the infantry in  World War I, then became a priest and was a chaplain in World War II.  Now he is an overweight, blading, gentle priest in a small British town. The humor of each episode is that when a crime occurs, the police are notified and Father Brown is usually already there for some other reason.  So Father brown gets involved.  The police jump to conclusions, arrest the wrong person and Father Brown, amateur sleuth, pokes around and figures out the truth and the police look foolish. Once he was arrested for obstruction of justice, during his time in the jail, he figured out who sabotaged the town race and solved the crime.  The district police gave him a commendation, so now the local police tolerate him better. In this show, having a priest as a main character ...

Thoughts on the 2017 iPhones

Apple released the iPhone 8 a week or so ago.  Apple will release the iPhone X on November 3, 2017.  This is part of Apple’s current annual release of updated phones with better screens, more battery life and a better processor.  I bought my iPhone 7 plus on release day in September of 2016.  I went to the Apple store and bought it.  When thinking about whether I need to update my phone this year, I need to consider a few things. First, is my phone functional or did I break it?  My phone is in good working order.  The screen is not cracked, the non-existent home button still works.  Volume and power and silent switches work.  Mechanically the phone is in good shape.  It took the IOS 11 and IOS 11.01 updates without a problem. The next question is this:  what do I use my phone for and will a faster phone with a better screen help me do these things? Podcasts:  I listen to many podcasts on my phone.  I listen to a mix ...

Church Regulation in California

The first part of the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States reads Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; Everyone always jumps to the second and third and fourth part of this amendment  and screams about freedom of speech or the freedom of the press.  However, the reason the original people came to America was to get away from religious persecution.  Therefore, the first protection against the government (which is what the amendments are), is about freedom of religion. In California there is a move, ever since 2010 the reduced the number of churches.  Actually, they don’t care if two people meet in a home and call it a church, they want to remove the large church meeting buildings.  This is because church buildings do not pay property or use tax.  Many churches in California, especially in the San Francisco Bay Area, have been in their current location for a cen...