Skip to main content

Thoughts on Exercise

My first thought on exercise is that I can never spell it correctly. Anyway, I used to own a treadmill. It was in my house facing the TV. We bought it in San Jose and moved it up to the Bay Area. We had it for close to 20 years and I used it most every day. During its end of life, I did not run on it because it was very wobbly. After a time, it just died and the belt would not move. A Crunch gym had opened across the street from my church, so I went there and joined and I have been going there every day instead of using my own treadmill, which we donated for scrap.

One benefit of Crunch gym is that they are a full gym. They not only have treadmills, and lots of them, but they have weights and weight machines and classes and stair climbers and all sorts of stuff, so I can do different things other than walk/run on the treadmill. I usually start with 30 minutes on the treadmill to burn sugar and get my cardio up. I then move to various weight machines and try to build my upper body.


One thing I wonder, going to the gym every day, is this: does it do any good? I can look in the mirror, I can test my blood sugar and hope that things are where they are supposed to be, but the reality is, I will not know what good this does or how much benefit I get until I get older and see how my health is. By then it will be too late…no do overs. The other day I did go to the Doctor to check on a possible pinched nerve. She did the standard arm pull and push tests and she said this, “You’re strong. How did you get so strong?” So I guess it is doing some good…who knows, maybe she was weak.

Spiritual exercise is the same way, it seems. Psalm 73:13 indicates that way back then people wondered if righteous living did any good. There is no mirror to look in and there is no one to notice that you are now strong. Like physical exercise, progress is slow and mostly invisible. I teach that spiritual disciplines of Bible reading and study, church attendance and prayer are vital to Christian life, but many seem to wonder if it does any good. I suppose that is why they call it faith. It takes faith to go to the gym every day and it takes faith to keep up with the Christian life and its pursuits every day. It will also take other people to notice when we are strong and when we are wise from following God. My hope is that when I am 75 years old I will remain active and with all my faculties and that I will be wiser and closer to God in all my actives. I do things today, with the faith and the hope that the pay off will be later in life. I’ll let you know.



#Thoughts on Exercise#

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Father Brown

There is a show on the BBC that is on American Netflix called Father Brown.  It takes place in 1955 in England, so World War II is still fresh in their minds.  Father brown was in the infantry in  World War I, then became a priest and was a chaplain in World War II.  Now he is an overweight, blading, gentle priest in a small British town. The humor of each episode is that when a crime occurs, the police are notified and Father Brown is usually already there for some other reason.  So Father brown gets involved.  The police jump to conclusions, arrest the wrong person and Father Brown, amateur sleuth, pokes around and figures out the truth and the police look foolish. Once he was arrested for obstruction of justice, during his time in the jail, he figured out who sabotaged the town race and solved the crime.  The district police gave him a commendation, so now the local police tolerate him better. In this show, having a priest as a main character ...

Thoughts on the 2017 iPhones

Apple released the iPhone 8 a week or so ago.  Apple will release the iPhone X on November 3, 2017.  This is part of Apple’s current annual release of updated phones with better screens, more battery life and a better processor.  I bought my iPhone 7 plus on release day in September of 2016.  I went to the Apple store and bought it.  When thinking about whether I need to update my phone this year, I need to consider a few things. First, is my phone functional or did I break it?  My phone is in good working order.  The screen is not cracked, the non-existent home button still works.  Volume and power and silent switches work.  Mechanically the phone is in good shape.  It took the IOS 11 and IOS 11.01 updates without a problem. The next question is this:  what do I use my phone for and will a faster phone with a better screen help me do these things? Podcasts:  I listen to many podcasts on my phone.  I listen to a mix ...

Church Regulation in California

The first part of the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States reads Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; Everyone always jumps to the second and third and fourth part of this amendment  and screams about freedom of speech or the freedom of the press.  However, the reason the original people came to America was to get away from religious persecution.  Therefore, the first protection against the government (which is what the amendments are), is about freedom of religion. In California there is a move, ever since 2010 the reduced the number of churches.  Actually, they don’t care if two people meet in a home and call it a church, they want to remove the large church meeting buildings.  This is because church buildings do not pay property or use tax.  Many churches in California, especially in the San Francisco Bay Area, have been in their current location for a cen...