Skip to main content

Thoughts on the Parable of the Sower (Mark 4)

In Mark chapter 4 Jesus tells the story of a farmer spreading seed.  In the story, the farmer has a bag of seed and he grabs a handful of seed and throws it out in front of him.  Some seed falls on the road, some among the thorns and some among the rocks.  None of these seeds grow.  Some seed, however, fall on good soil and this seeds take root and grow into large plants.

Today people from my church went out into the community to talk to people and to place informational cards on their doors.  This activity is much like the sower of seeds in Mark 4.  We just pick some streets and hit every house.  Even though the informational cards are about our church and not the full Word of God, they will lead to the Word of God.

Some people will see the cards and simply throw them away (the road).  Satan is active and alive in the San Francisco Bay Area and the rest of the world.  He wants people to think that church is judgmental and full of hypocrites.  So anytime anyone speaks of church, people that Satan has his claws into will automatically turn off.  Satan has won that round.

Some people will see the card cheerfully (rocks).  Last time we did this activity, I had opportunity to speak to an older couple who were doing yard work.  When I handed them the information card, I invited them to church.  They both informed me that they were now retired.  They moved to San Lorenzo after retiring from their high stress jobs in Los Angeles.  They had made the promise to each other that when they retire and move up north they would find a church and attend.  They had been praying for that, and then I showed up.  I prayed with them and they vowed that they would be there tomorrow.  Well, tomorrow came and they never showed up.  That event happened 6 months ago and they never showed up.  The lesson here is this:  do not put off church attendance until tomorrow.  No matter how busy you are, find a church and make it a priority.  Then it will be easy to transition into retired life still going to church.

Some people will see the information and believe they are too busy (thorns).  Most people I have met were raised in church but stopped going when they moved away for college or work or family.  They just never looked for a church in the new town and now decades have passed and church is not a priority.  People like this can never figure out how to carve out 75 minutes on a Sunday morning.  They are just too busy.

Some people receive the invitation and show up (good soil).  I am still looking for that person.  No one from our knocking on doors and handing our card has ever come to our church, even though many have promised and vowed.  we have visited 1750 homes and no one has showed up to our church.  We still do it, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Father Brown

There is a show on the BBC that is on American Netflix called Father Brown.  It takes place in 1955 in England, so World War II is still fresh in their minds.  Father brown was in the infantry in  World War I, then became a priest and was a chaplain in World War II.  Now he is an overweight, blading, gentle priest in a small British town. The humor of each episode is that when a crime occurs, the police are notified and Father Brown is usually already there for some other reason.  So Father brown gets involved.  The police jump to conclusions, arrest the wrong person and Father Brown, amateur sleuth, pokes around and figures out the truth and the police look foolish. Once he was arrested for obstruction of justice, during his time in the jail, he figured out who sabotaged the town race and solved the crime.  The district police gave him a commendation, so now the local police tolerate him better. In this show, having a priest as a main character ...

Thoughts on the 2017 iPhones

Apple released the iPhone 8 a week or so ago.  Apple will release the iPhone X on November 3, 2017.  This is part of Apple’s current annual release of updated phones with better screens, more battery life and a better processor.  I bought my iPhone 7 plus on release day in September of 2016.  I went to the Apple store and bought it.  When thinking about whether I need to update my phone this year, I need to consider a few things. First, is my phone functional or did I break it?  My phone is in good working order.  The screen is not cracked, the non-existent home button still works.  Volume and power and silent switches work.  Mechanically the phone is in good shape.  It took the IOS 11 and IOS 11.01 updates without a problem. The next question is this:  what do I use my phone for and will a faster phone with a better screen help me do these things? Podcasts:  I listen to many podcasts on my phone.  I listen to a mix ...

Church Regulation in California

The first part of the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States reads Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; Everyone always jumps to the second and third and fourth part of this amendment  and screams about freedom of speech or the freedom of the press.  However, the reason the original people came to America was to get away from religious persecution.  Therefore, the first protection against the government (which is what the amendments are), is about freedom of religion. In California there is a move, ever since 2010 the reduced the number of churches.  Actually, they don’t care if two people meet in a home and call it a church, they want to remove the large church meeting buildings.  This is because church buildings do not pay property or use tax.  Many churches in California, especially in the San Francisco Bay Area, have been in their current location for a cen...