Skip to main content

Thoughts on Surveys (I hate them)

It seems that everyone wants to know what I think about the service I have received.  I go get my car worked on, and I get a survey.  I call apple and I get a survey.  I take my mother to the doctor and I get a survey.  Some times, usually, the surveys are emailed and I just delete them.  More and more often, like today, I receive a phone call.

My mother has spent time in a skilled nursing facility recently and today I received a phone call asking me questions about the place where she was treated.  They asked about the staff and then did a Likert scale  on various aspects of the facility.  Today’s call was from a woman who had a very strong accent and was clearly in a call center.  I know this because I could hear other voices asking questions in the background.  Also her phone system kept cutting out so I could only get part of the questions.

Many years ago, I am not sure when, companies decided that it would be a good idea to get customer ratings based on their service.  Survey companies then sprang up selling their services.  When I get a survey about Comcast, it is not from Comcast, it is from a third party, who supposedly aggregates the data and gives it to Comcast.  Most of these survey companies, it seems are the standard Indian or Filipino call center.

The VA is all about surveys.  Every time I go to the VA I get multiple surveys and they are long a detailed.  My research has shown that these actually come from companies hired by the US Congress in an effort to get an idea of what is wrong with the VA.

My conclusion is that people pay lots of money for surveys, and they look at them, but nothing ever changes.  People still hate their cable company, people still rate the VA lower than a bee sting and nothing seems to change.  As long as companies are making money and VA administrators are getting paid, why change anything.

One difficulty with surveys is that Stanford and Sutter Health base promotions, pay raises and reviews on patient surveys.  This causes doctors, I have read, to not do what is medically best but only what the patient wants.  This has helped with the opioid epidemic, because if the doctors don’t give drugs, they get a bad review.

I hate surveys.  I think they are pointless, a waste of time and annoying.  I hung up on the skilled nursing survey call three times, but they are persistent.  My guess is that they do not get paid unless they complete a survey.  Stop asking me how I rate services.  I will rate them with my feet and wallet.  If they are bad, I will move on.  Surveys from monopolies like Comcast are stupid and pointless because they have no motivation to change.  Just stop it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressed by email?

Cornerstone Fellowship *Farewell Sermon* 6-4-23 Rev. Michael L. Wilson

Thoughts on Dinosaurs

There is a commercial on TV where there is a flying lizard and a larger flying lizard comes along side.  This is advertising some dinosaur exhibit at some learning center of museum in Northern California.  When we see animations like this, some may think that this is actually what ancient reptile beasts looked like.  When we think of dinosaurs, we need to understand a few things. We have no idea what dinosaurs looked like.  We have no idea what any of them sounded like.  We don’t know what color they were or what texture their skin was (mostly). We have no idea what they ate.   We have no idea if they were friendly and docile or violent and full of rage. We have no idea how they walked, how fast they walked or if any of them flew. We have no idea why we don’t have any dinosaurs on earth anymore. This is because we have never found a dinosaur.  In fact we have only found the spaces where their bones were.  When a dinosaur died, it may have gotten buried.  All the skin and mus