Skip to main content

Two Questions

…that every Christian must be able to answer.  What are these two questions?  A Christian must be able to tell people how they were saved.  If someone seeking God asks a Christian how they were saved, there needs to be a truthful, sort answer for that question.  Second, a Christian must be able to tell anyone else how they may be saved.  So if someone seeking God asks a Christian how they might be saved, the Christian must have a truthful, short answer.

There is a one word description of each of these answer is known as the gospel.  Gospel literally means good news.  Evangelism means sharing or telling good news.  The one difference between telling how I was saved and telling how you may be saved is that I may include the events of my salvation, which would turn my story into a testimony.  A testimony contains the gospel and how a single individual came to accept it.  All testimonies are different, yet the gospel remains the same.

It is imperative for every Christian to know the gospel, and to be able to verbalize it in words, either orally or in an email or text.  The gospel is information and it needs to get from one person to another.

What is the gospel?  Here are the bullet points
  • God has a standard of believe and behavior (summarized in the Ten Commandments)
  • I have broken every one multiple times.  I have sinned.  I am broken, evil, desperately wicked and totally depraved.  Nothing is good in me. (The Bad News)
  • Therefore, I am under judgement of God and he will punish me for all eternity in hell.
  • However, God loves the world and sent his Son (The Good News)
  • His death on the cross paid my price and if I believe in his work on the cross and accept it and make him Lord over my life (repent of my unbelief) He will place his righteous on me
  • I will then be fully accepted by God and live in eternity with him


All of that needs to be expressed by every Christian, using whatever words are natural, when the opportunity arises.  It is generally understood that if there is a self-righteous person, they need to be lost before they can be saved, which is the point of the bad news.  If someone is aware of their sin, then they only need the good news.

A Christian must be able to tell a story of how they learned of the gospel and accepted it and the Christian must be able to lead an unbeliever through these steps of belief to become saved.  Generally people try and keep their testimony under 2 minutes.  The shorter the better.  People need to be able to tell the good news in under 30 seconds.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing more important than getting people saved.  When we are all in eternity, the only two things that will transfer from this life to the next are 1) our relationship with Jesus; and 2) people we shared the gospel with and who believed.  That is it.  So let’s fill up heaven with people by sharing the gospel.  Learn it, know it, speak it and share it.  Time is short, Jesus Christ is coming back soon and when Jesus touches down, all opportunity ceases.  So let us work while it is still day for the night is coming when no one can work.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Father Brown

There is a show on the BBC that is on American Netflix called Father Brown.  It takes place in 1955 in England, so World War II is still fresh in their minds.  Father brown was in the infantry in  World War I, then became a priest and was a chaplain in World War II.  Now he is an overweight, blading, gentle priest in a small British town. The humor of each episode is that when a crime occurs, the police are notified and Father Brown is usually already there for some other reason.  So Father brown gets involved.  The police jump to conclusions, arrest the wrong person and Father Brown, amateur sleuth, pokes around and figures out the truth and the police look foolish. Once he was arrested for obstruction of justice, during his time in the jail, he figured out who sabotaged the town race and solved the crime.  The district police gave him a commendation, so now the local police tolerate him better. In this show, having a priest as a main character ...

Thoughts on the 2017 iPhones

Apple released the iPhone 8 a week or so ago.  Apple will release the iPhone X on November 3, 2017.  This is part of Apple’s current annual release of updated phones with better screens, more battery life and a better processor.  I bought my iPhone 7 plus on release day in September of 2016.  I went to the Apple store and bought it.  When thinking about whether I need to update my phone this year, I need to consider a few things. First, is my phone functional or did I break it?  My phone is in good working order.  The screen is not cracked, the non-existent home button still works.  Volume and power and silent switches work.  Mechanically the phone is in good shape.  It took the IOS 11 and IOS 11.01 updates without a problem. The next question is this:  what do I use my phone for and will a faster phone with a better screen help me do these things? Podcasts:  I listen to many podcasts on my phone.  I listen to a mix ...

Church Regulation in California

The first part of the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States reads Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; Everyone always jumps to the second and third and fourth part of this amendment  and screams about freedom of speech or the freedom of the press.  However, the reason the original people came to America was to get away from religious persecution.  Therefore, the first protection against the government (which is what the amendments are), is about freedom of religion. In California there is a move, ever since 2010 the reduced the number of churches.  Actually, they don’t care if two people meet in a home and call it a church, they want to remove the large church meeting buildings.  This is because church buildings do not pay property or use tax.  Many churches in California, especially in the San Francisco Bay Area, have been in their current location for a cen...