Skip to main content

Thoughts on Pastor Appreciation Day

Some time ago, the congress of the United States declared or resolved that the second Sunday in October would be Pastor Appreciation Day.  It never became a national holiday, and pastors still have to work on that day, but it is a nice thing.

My church celebrated it to show me some appreciation and that was nice.  After church there was a time with cake.  People had written notes saying how much I mean to them and that is a good thing.

A pastor works hard, no matter what the size of the church is.  In smaller churches a pastor does most of the physical work.  In a larger church a pastor manages the people and does more counseling and managing divisions.  In our church everyone works together to make our church a loving place where everyone is welcome, including the pastor.

The cake that was served was chocolate, which is always a winner.  I was also given a large stuffed Minion, dressed up like a pirate for Halloween.  I like the minions and that was an unexpected gift.  It made me smile and I truly felt appreciated.  I pastor an amazing church and I appreciate them as much or more than they appreciate me.

I am the pastor of the church I grew up in, was baptized in and accepted Christ in.  When I told people that I was going to pastor the church I grew up in, I was told not to do it.  There was a funeral that I officiated, and I told the funeral director what I had done and he said it was a bad idea.  Apparently he left the church he grew up in to go to college and seminary and they hired him back.  No one had left, so the same people that were bullies in high school were now bullies as adults and he did not get along with anyone.  While I was away, the church went through some changes, so only the supportive loving people, many who remember me an as infant, remained.

Being a pastor is difficult, challenging, time consuming and some might say hard work.  It helps to have a congregation that appreciates me and supports me.  We truly are a community, a fellowship and a true church.  I thank God for Cornerstone Fellowship and for the people who remain.  I know that God is blessing us, working through us, growing us and strengthening us.  There are many challenges in a small church, but all of us stick with it and truly appreciate me.

I thank God and I thank the people of Cornerstone Fellowship.

The web is full of ideas on how to show your pastor appreciation.  Let me encourage all church goers to appreciate your pastor every Sunday not just the second Sunday in October.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressed by email?

Cornerstone Fellowship *Farewell Sermon* 6-4-23 Rev. Michael L. Wilson

Thoughts on Dinosaurs

There is a commercial on TV where there is a flying lizard and a larger flying lizard comes along side.  This is advertising some dinosaur exhibit at some learning center of museum in Northern California.  When we see animations like this, some may think that this is actually what ancient reptile beasts looked like.  When we think of dinosaurs, we need to understand a few things. We have no idea what dinosaurs looked like.  We have no idea what any of them sounded like.  We don’t know what color they were or what texture their skin was (mostly). We have no idea what they ate.   We have no idea if they were friendly and docile or violent and full of rage. We have no idea how they walked, how fast they walked or if any of them flew. We have no idea why we don’t have any dinosaurs on earth anymore. This is because we have never found a dinosaur.  In fact we have only found the spaces where their bones were.  When a dinosaur died, it may have gotten buried.  All the skin and mus